Births, Deaths and Marriages NT
Please note: Our on-line application service will not be available from Wednesday 11th March, 4:00PM to Thursday 12th March, 9:00AM.
Use our on-line facility to apply for a Northern Territory birth, death, marriage or commemorative certificate.
Please note: Adoption and Change of Name certificates and our priority service are not available online. Please contact our office for more information.
Who can apply?
Our records contain sensitive and personal information about you and your family. Therefore, as a safeguard against identity fraud and to protect your personal information, general access to records is restricted.
Applications for certificates are subject to the Registrar's Access and Proof of Identity policies. Please ensure that you meet the requirements of the policies before submitting your application. For example, you may not be able to apply for your brother's/sister's and/or grandchild's birth certificate.
Payment and delivery
Our standard certificate charge is $AU43.00. An additional $AU12.30 is payable for registered person-to-person postage within Australia, or $AU16.10 for international postage.
Certificates will be addressed to the ‘Applicant' who will be required to produce identification and/or sign for the certificate upon delivery by Australia Post. Payments can be made using Credit Card (Visa or MasterCard), Money Order or Bank Cheque.
How to apply for a certificate
To apply on-line, please complete the on-line application, and provide your credit card details for payment and a daytime contact number. Please note: Our on-line application service will not be available from Wednesday 11th March, 4:00PM to Thursday 12th March, 9:00AM.
To apply by facsimile, please print out an application form, and complete and fax it, together with certified identification (see How to prove your identity) to:
- Darwin (08) 8999 6324, or
- Alice Springs (08) 8951 5340
To apply by post, please print out an application form, complete the form and post it together with payment and certified identification (see How to prove your identity) to:
Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
GPO Box 3021
Darwin NT 0801
PO Box 8043
Alice Springs NT 0871
In Person Application
To apply in person, please attend the Registrar-General's Office during business hours (Monday-Friday 8.00am - 4.00pm).
Ground Floor, Nichols Place Zone B, corner Bennett and Cavenagh Streets, Darwin; or
Centrepoint Building, corner Gregory and Hartley Street, Alice Springs
Tennant Creek Courthouse, Paterson Street, Tennant Creek
Katherine Courthouse, First Street, Katherine
When you apply in person you will be required to provide a completed application form together with the appropriate identification (see How to prove your identity).
How to prove your identity
Don’t forget to get your proof of identity documents certified if applying by fax or post.
Appropriate ID for a person consists of
- One primary source of ID from the list below; or two secondary sources of information from the list below.
If you are applying for your own Birth Certificate or your child's (if they are under 18), you must provide appropriate ID for yourself.
- A parent does not have an automatic right of access to their child's birth records once the child has turned 18 years.
- The Registry will permit access only where the child consents to the application.
If you are applying for a Birth Certificate on behalf of another person who is 18 or older, you must provide the following:
- Appropriate ID for yourself, and
- Appropriate ID for the person named on the certificate, and
- A letter giving permission from the person named on the certificate, their parents (if a child) or their authorised representative (e.g. sibling, Power of Attorney, solicitor, welfare group, legal guardian). Please include their address, daytime telephone number and signature.
How to Prove your Identity
- Current NT driver’s licence with photo
- Current Australian passport
- Current document of Identity issued by the Passports Office
- Current Defence Force or Police Service photo ID card
- Current Ochre Card
If none of the above forms of identification are available, at least two other forms of ID must be produced, with at least one from List 1.
- NT proof of age card from Motor Vehicle Registry
- Current overseas passport with current entry permit
- Naturalisation / citizenship / immigration papers issued by the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs
- Current consular photo identity card issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Current student photo identity card
- Current photo driver’s licence from another State or Territory
- Australian passport or document of identity expired within the last two years
- Baptismal certificate
- Letter of identity from an Aboriginal community or other recognised cultural group
- NT Security identification
- Current Medicare card
- Current entitlement card issued by the Commonwealth Government (pensions etc)
- Current credit card, account card, passbook or account statement
- Current telephone, electricity-water rates, council rates account with evidence of payment
- Identity cards issued by either Larrakia or Tangentyere
- Current life insurance / house or contents insurance policy with evidence of payment
- Current student identity card or statement of enrolment
- Current apprenticeship / traineeship papers
- Current vehicle registration papers
- Evidence of change of name
- Registered mortgage papers / title or deeds to real estate
- Defence Force discharge papers issued within the last two years
- Electoral enrolment card issued within the last two years
- School or other educational report less than twelve months old
- Taxation assessment notice from the last year
- Expired driver’s licence within the last two years
- Other forms of identification may be accepted at the discretion of the Registry staff.
Applications that are not made in person are normally processed within 3 working days from receipt, providing all requirements are met (ie access, proof of identity and payment). However, we may sometimes be unable to meet our service charter standards for certificates that are not held on computer.
Please note: our processing time does not include postage. Please allow sufficient time for postage when submitting your application. Unfortunately, our priority service is not available online. If you require a certificate urgently, you will need to submit your application by post, fax or in person. Please contact our office for more information regarding the priority service.
If you are unable to comply with any of the above requirements, please contact us for further advice.
If you knowingly make a false or misleading representation in your application, you may be guilty of an offence under Section 50 of the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act.